Tuesday, July 31, 2012

on lost childhood



This to me is a perfect image of childhood: long lazy summer afternoons filled with nothing but magic adventures. No responsibilities, no chores, no fear. 

Nothing like the childhood of most children I encounter through my work.

People often tell me that children in the west are spoilt. “Vizziati”  And it is true. But the bottom line is, I don’t know what life is going to throw their way. I don’t know what things I wont be able to protect them from, so I’m not about to go about making their life difficult just for the sake of it. I’ll teach them values. I’ll try to teach them as much as I can about the world, justice, and their debt for having been born privileged, on the right side of the fence. And I will let them enjoy their lazy long summer days in the sun. Let it soak in their skin and their soul. They’ll at least have that when the rainy days come.

***
This post is in support of the WorldVision initiative to raise funds for children in danger 

All donations will be matched by the UK Government pound-for-pound, so we can help children fight malnutrition now while investing in their future.
If you’d like to help raise awareness, feel free to join the blog hop, (Then include the link: https://www.worldvision.org.uk/giving-forms/single-gifts/*/giftId/62/)
or imply choose a picture you feel best represents childhood and post it to their wall or on twitter (tag   )
And tag two more people to join in.
I’m tagging -