Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 5: your body





last year's prompt on Body integration  was:  when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present? ~ (by Patrick Reynolds)

I'd like to change it to what gift did you give your body this year? when were you kind to it (instead of critical) how will you be kind to it next year?

i for one had a bit of a scare last year, and  this year....  but last year   was the first time that I took it seriously and it changed my attitude towards exercise. Before  exercise always felt  vein and superficial (when it meant prioritising it to my kids) or just unrealistic (when it came to prioritising it to work). and then the shit hits the fan and you realise you've only got one body, and nobody is getting any if that body is not around. not even the kids. so I started the year off with a detox   which was actually quite a shocking experience, mainly  because once you hit that switch it becomes so easy to do what you know you should be doing, second, because once the three week detox was over my body wanted  nothing to do with the old habits, it was just amazing to me how strongly it reacted and how much it did not want crap back in. but of course little by little you fall back into the old ways...

I did maintain my commitment to exercise going to yoga twice a week, and I think it's really made a difference. 

as for next year.... the stress of the move has thrown me back into the deep end of my old ways. so today I am booking and appointment with a holistic doctor that will put me in a strict and very specific to my needs diet, (as soon as the holidays are over... lets be realistic people). I have also bought a one month unlimited dance class pass for the month of  January ... I used to dance, haven't since high school.... will in January and hopefully I will fall in love with one of the classes and continue to do so, together with yoga, and eat better, and meditate, and .....

And I want my children to get used to doing something physical, whatever it is, but I want it to become part of their life from an early age. we must not neglect the body, and I must lead by example. 


It's a somewhat ambitious plan.